JOB OPENING: Post until December 22, 2017 4:30
CATOOSA COUNTY 911/EMA DIRECTOR
JOB SUMMARY: Develops and
coordinates all activities for local Emergency Management and 911
Communications Center. Work involves but
is not limited to managing the 24-hour operation of public safety
communications and Emergency Management for Catoosa County.
- Coordinates day-to-day emergency activities
with local government officials and department heads.
- Develops operational budget for Emergency
Management and 911 department.
- Develops emergency operations plans and
assists local officials in developing standing operating procedures for
- Develops the Emergency Operations
Center and 911
staffing pattern and procedures.
- Evaluates plans and procedures and recommends
revision as needed.
- Plans, develops, maintains and manages
operating procedures and policies for the employees of the Emergency Management
and 911 Centers.
- Prepares necessary reports on local Emergency
Management and 911 activities, such as payroll, annual work plan,
quarterly reports and budgets as required by local, state and federal
- Prepares documented requests for federal
- Maintains inventory and maintenance of all
supplies, materials and equipment.
- Requisitions supplies and equipment as
- Locates shelters and acquires permission to
mark and stock shelters as needed; relocates supplies as necessary;
inspects all shelters.
- Ensures that the Local Emergency Operations
Plan, Statewide Mutual Aid Agreement and County Emergency Ordinances are
- Develops and maintains emergency
communication and warning systems and assists in the development of tornado
warning system and school shelter plans.
- Prepares and gives speeches pertaining to
Emergency Management and/or 911 to local government officials, department
heads and professional EM staff.
- Coordinates exercises to test
disaster/emergency operations plans; maintains current maps and charts.
- Participates in training programs in CERT,
Red Cross, and Storm Spotter.
- Recruits, screens and provides for the
training of employees and volunteers and alerts and briefs them of
impending emergency situations.
- Requests state assistance in emergency
Center staff should
activation be required.
- Maintains and updates roster of key emergency
- Ensures the maintenance of permanent records
of emergency calls received and dispatched. Monitors calls to ensure Federal
Communications Commission, Georgia Crime Information Center and National
Crime Information Center, rules and regulations are followed and any
required certifications remain current and are complied with.
- Ensure the maintenance of the County’s 911
system and make sure all equipment is up-to-date. Order and supervise installation of
- Serves as liaison between County, telephone
companies, institutions utilizing the alarm systems and other agencies
related to the 911 Center and/or Emergency Management.
- Attend and participate in the Catoosa County
911 Advisory Board and the Local Emergency Planning Committee.
- Receives and evaluates citizen complaints,
internal complaints and suggestions regarding Emergency Management and
- Serves as the Address Program Administrator
for the County.
- Supervises the assigning of all physical
addresses within Catoosa
establishes the names of new roads as per the Catoosa County Street
- Ensures that the street addressing database
and maps are kept up-to-date.
- Performs public relations services to the
public about 911 and Emergency Management.
- Performs other duties and related work as
degree preferred from an accredited college in a related field.
experience in emergency communications and emergency management, including
supervisory experience in related field.
combination of education and experience may be acceptable.
- A Certified Emergency Manager under the
Georgia Emergency Management Agency’s Certified Emergency Manager Program
is preferred or must be willing to achieve this status within 24 months of
- Must obtain Advanced Certified Emergency
Manager status within 36 months of hire date.
- Must attend New Director’s Briefing held at
GEMA’s New Director’s Academy.
- Obtain and maintain a GCJIC/NCIC
certification within six months of hire date.
- Must obtain and maintain POST Communication
- Must maintain required certifications through
required continuing education.
- Must possess a valid Drivers License.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND
- Thorough knowledge of public safety rules,
regulations, terminology and methods of operation.
- Thorough knowledge of emergency dispatch
- Thorough knowledge of radio codes.
- Good knowledge of computer aided dispatch
- Thorough knowledge of the County’s street
system and geography.
- Comprehensive knowledge of communications and
two-way radio services as they relate to emergency dispatch operations.
- Thorough knowledge of the laws and
regulations pertaining to Emergency Management and communication
- Thorough knowledge of effective supervisory
skills, preferably in a public safety environment.
- Skill in communicating ideas and directives
clearly and effectively.
- Ability to effectively plan, initiate and
administer department activities.
- Ability to develop, prepare and present
accurate and comprehensive recommendations, analyses and reports.
- Ability to work routinely under highly
stressful conditions, including life threatening situations.
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions
and on uneven terrains.
- Ability to make quick and sound decisions and
clearly and effectively communicate orally in crisis situations.
- Ability to deal with the public courteously
- Effective management and leadership practices
- Ability to establish objectives with minimal
- Able to follow written or verbal
- Able to maintain a professional image,
appearance and conduct.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Able to proficiently operate office equipment
and other equipment necessary for Emergency Management vehicles.
- Ability to use hands, feet, and lift or move
up to 25 pounds.
inquiries, applications and background consent paperwork should be obtained
from the Reception Area, Catoosa County Governmental Building located at 800
LaFayette Street, Ringgold, GA or at www.catoosa.com.
2) Post offer
negative drug test required. EOE.
3) Current employees wishing to apply
for a transfer are expected to complete an
application and will be
notified if chosen for an interview.