Springfield Public Schools seeks outstanding candidates for the position of Director of Human Resources. We are actively recruiting applicants who model best practices for inclusion, equity and diversity.
Essential Job Functions
• Plan, direct, and oversee all human resource functions of the District, including recruitment and selection, classification and compensation, employee and labor relations, training and development, affirmative action/equal employment, general liability, and emergency planning.
• Develop, plan, and implement department goals and objectives. Formulate, recommend, and administer policies and procedures. Evaluate the effectiveness of programs and practices, and modify strategies to achieve goals; translate the Board and District’s goals into HR strategic and tactical plans, and ensure the completion of strategic plan action items.
• Provide professional, management, consultation and advice to district directors, administrators, and supervisors regarding legal compliance, contractual obligations, district policies, effective human resource practices, and ethical practices.
• Serve as a member of the Superintendent’s Cabinet. Participate in various committees involved in planning, service improvement, organizational design and development, and other key district initiatives.
• Oversee the development, implementation, and administration of the district’s affirmative action plan and plan for workforce diversity. Oversee diversity recruiting efforts and develop strategies for the retention of staff.
• Serve as the chief negotiator for the District in contract negotiations and oversee the administration of all labor agreements.
• Oversee the disciplinary actions of employees to ensure fair, equitable, and lawful processes. Manage highly complex employee relations’ cases, conflict/grievance resolutions, and respond to complaints on behalf of the District.
• Ensure compliance with all Federal, State, and local laws, rules and regulations bearing on human resource management and employment in a public school system. Analyze and implement new laws, regulations, and rulings impacting the program areas within human resources.
• Plan, direct and coordinate department work activities. Assign projects and programmatic areas of responsibility. Review and evaluate work methods and procedures. Meet with key staff to identify and resolve problems.
General Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Team oriented with an emphasis on collaboration and customer service
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Salary and Benefit Package
This 12-month position includes a generous benefit package including the District-paid 6% PERS retirement, medical, dental, vision, and stipends for mileage, cell phone and an optional TSA.
Annual Salary Range for 2018-19: $102,348 - $126,815