||Executive Director of Equity and Inclusion
||Tacoma Community College
Priority Consideration Date: February 21, 2018
Tacoma Community College (TCC) is a comprehensive state-supported community college serving more than 720,000 residents of the Tacoma-Pierce County area. The College's service district includes all of Tacoma and the Pierce County portion of the Olympic Peninsula and serves the Tacoma and Peninsula school districts. TCC seeks to appoint a committed leader who shares the College's dedication to diversity to the newly created Director for Equity and Inclusion. TCC is one of 34 community and technical colleges in a statewide system. The College has an annual operating budget of $40 million. Located on a 150-acre site in west Tacoma, the TCC campus houses 28 buildings (.5 million sq. ft. of covered area) including a health science center, computer center, learning resource center, art gallery, gymnasium, student center, and Early Learning Center. The Tacoma-Pierce County area, located on beautiful Puget Sound and framed by the Cascade and Olympic mountain ranges, offers residents and visitors a wealth of cultural and recreational opportunities. Tacoma is located 35 miles south of Seattle.
Responsibilities of the Executive Director for Equity and Inclusion
The Executive Director for Equity and Inclusion reports directly to the President and serves as a member of the Leadership Team. This position provides leadership in the college's efforts to create an environment that values and demonstrates its commitment to equity and inclusion. The Executive Director of Equity and Inclusion in collaboration with appropriate staff or units will ensure the development of diversity awareness and training, collaboration in the design of educational materials that enhance awareness of equity and inclusion, and facilitation of initiatives designed to enhance the college's climate for faculty, staff, and students of all backgrounds. The Executive Director for Equity and Inclusion serves as a strategic forward-thinking leader. The position is responsible for aligning and integrating a range of new and existing initiatives at TCC into a cohesive platform of services that will foster a more inclusive, diverse community and to guide the college community to extend the values of diversity and equity broadly through teaching, scholarship, and community engagement.
- Provide leadership, coordination, and strategic oversight regarding all equity, diversity, and inclusion matters in partnership with the College's Leadership.
- Develop and provide leadership to the implementation of an equity and inclusion plan that affirms the College's commitment to the principles of equity and inclusion.
- Recommend policy improvements that remove barriers to student success for marginalized populations at the institutional, divisional, and departmental levels.
- Provide analysis of legislation related to equity, diversity, inclusion, non-discrimination, and develop policies that ensures compliance with all legal requirements.
- Serve as a Title IX investigator and Deputy Title IX Administrator
- Possess a working understandingEqual Employment Opportunity Act of 1972 (EEO), Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), Title IX of the Educational Amendments Act of 1972 (Title IX), the Jeanne Clery Act of 1990 (Clery Act), the Violence Against Women Act of 1994 (VAWA), The American with Disabilities Act of 1990(ADA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)
- Work closely with Human Resources to develop strategies and opportunities for recruitment diversity.
- Develops metrics and dashboards to ensure accountability, tracking, and monitoring of equity and inclusion efforts.Work closely with relevant College offices in use of data tools (i.e. campus climate survey, demographic data, student completion and employment data etc.) to compile reports that create benchmarks and assess institutional progress regarding equity, inclusion, diversity and student success efforts.
- Participate in development and support of strategic plan focusing on priorities related to equity and inclusion.
- In collaboration with Organizational Learning and Effectiveness develop dynamic and intentional equity/inclusion/diversity programs and initiatives for faculty and staff that adequately address the educational and social needs of our campus community.
- Responsible for compliance and associated reports related to equity and diversity.
- Serve as a member of the Leadership Team responding to emerging issues, ideas, and challenges and thinks strategically with the Leadership Team as to how to best position the college for the future.
- Oversee the Equity & Diversity Council and participate in college councils and committees as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned by the President.
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in roles related to the implementation of equity and diversity initiatives.
- Knowledge of relevant federal laws and regulations pertaining to equal employment opportunity, Title IX, etc.
Conditions of Employment
- Experience in higher education setting with faculty, staff, and students.
- Experience in student and staff recruitment, retention, training, and employment strategies to foster workplace diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated understanding of culture in higher education, including shared governance and respect for diverse views and opinions.
- Demonstrated experience to develop and support continuous improvement principles utilizing a systemic approach and data for decision-making.
- Demonstrated experience in the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs.
- Demonstrated experience in working collaboratively across multiple internal and external offices.
- Demonstrated commitment and experience with equity and inclusion programs.
- Successfully pass a criminal history background check prior to employment.
- Current, valid, unrestricted driver's license.
The Successful Candidate Must Demonstrate
- A team player dedicated to group problem solving.
- Ability to motivate, encourage, and inspire staff.
- Strong interpersonal skills; demonstrated decision-making and administrative skills.
- Ability to create and maintain strong relationships and build trust and consensus with College and community constituents.
- Demonstrate strong writing and communication skills, with the ability to speak in public, with students, community members, industry professionals, faculty and colleagues
- Work successfully with individuals and groups representing a wide range of diverse cultural, geographic, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Exhibit strong leadership skills to include getting and giving information, setting proper example, problem solving, evaluation, managing resources, decision making, etc
- Work effectively and productively with others; and be able to work independently in a team environment
- Meet meeting and travel requirements of the position
- Must have an understanding and appreciation of equity and a commitment to cultural awareness and sensitivity in the workplace.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and respectful working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Must maintain a high standard of conduct and ethical behavior
Complete application packages must include the following: Practical examination may be administered.
- Tacoma Community College online application.
- Resume & cover letter describing how your educational background and experience align with the responsibilities and qualifications.
- Copies of transcripts for all colleges and universities attended (official transcripts will be required for the successful candidate).
- Tacoma Community College is committed to creating and supporting a multi-cultural climate that welcomes, fosters, respects, and celebrates diversity.Please attach a statement (maximum two pages) describing your experiences with other cultures and communities, your level of cultural self-awareness and how you have integrated both experience and self-awareness into your living/working environment.
|Return to Job Listings