The Full Time - Parks Turf Technician employee will perform a variety of skilled routine repair,
maintenance, landscaping and irrigation tasks to care for park areas, rights of way, special use
areas, recreational areas and facilities.
The following list of duties and responsibilities are intended to illustrate the primary functions of
the position and are not intended to be all-inclusive.
• Maintains City grounds: planting beds, walkways, special use areas, etc. by pruning,
mowing, trimming and edging turf;
• Performs parks, turf and landscape duties including but not limited to: mowing,
trimming, blowing, edging, fertilizing, weed management, aerating, top-dressing, slicing,
power raking, over-seeding, soil amending, sodding, planting and irrigation maintenance;
• Performs weed abatement activities utilizing Integrated Pest Management Strategies;
• Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes
continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices;
• May perform general maintenance, custodial, and trash removal tasks;
• Performs snow removal, as required;
• Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of grounds maintenance and turf equipment operations.
• Knowledge and skills in the use of materials, tools, and equipment used in parks, turf,
• Ability to work independently and in teams.
• Ability to apply pesticides/herbicides as part of an integrated pest management program.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions which includes
communicating in a clear and concise manner, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
Minimum Job Requirements:
The following certificates/licenses/registrations are required:
• High School Diploma or GED; at least two (2) years of experience directly related to the
duties and responsibilities specified.
• This position requires the employee to hold a current Dept of Agriculture permit for
applications of turf pesticides/ herbicides.
• Possession of a valid Georgia driver's license is a requirement for this job.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
• Work involves considerable exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures,
dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises. Extensive physical
activity. Requires strenuous physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of
objects over 50 pounds.
• Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require
following basic safety precautions.
The City of Austell is an Equal Opportunity Employer, the City of Austell does not discriminate
based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the
provision of services. In compliance with the American with Disability Act, the City will provide
reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both
prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.